Caribbean missed call WARNING

  • +1
    CelticDragon replies to not Michael
    | 2 replies
    not Michael, do you happen to know WHEN Michael's was hacked, would you?
  • 0
    Matt from Kansas
    Got a call from 268-762-0022 yesterday at 8:30am (was in class) and then this morning from 268-762-0035 at 6:30am (woke me up, REALLY ticked me off). Thought about calling back, thought it might be Verizon, now I'm glad I didn't. But seriously, who calls at such a bad time???
  • 0
    nena
    I received a call from 2687020032 its from Antigua Barbuda and they just call let it ring once and then hang up. Thankfully my phone is prepaid nd won't let me make international calls but I'm really gonna be careful about who I call back.
  • 0
    Geo replies to ANonieMouse
    Thank you for this information. I just received a call that rang twice and hung up from 268-762-0032 at 7:30am est. The area code looked strange so I looked it up. I'm glad I saw your post and found out about the scam. Very annoying!
  • +1
    not Michael replies to CelticDragon
    | 1 reply
    No, I don't.  I just know what I saw on the tv news and read in the newspaper.

    The Michael's website may have more information.
  • 0
    Tamianth replies to not Michael
    I don't think the article said when I read it either CD.. just that they'd been hit (again). It was on the local news.  Here's the article! :)

    http://www.katu.com/news/national/Michaels-St ... -241977281.html
  • 0
    Matt
    I just received a two-ring call as well around 9pm local time from the phone number 268-762-0155.  The area code was from Antigua.  Glad I found this web page.  The scammers are getting bad.
  • 0
    leanne
    I too have been getting these calls for the past few weeks.  I have tried to call them back from my home phone and my cell, luckily I could not call them back.  I thought it was the government or some weird hack to listen in on my calls or something,  Got to say, Do we Americans have any privacy rights anymore?  I am glad to hear its a scam although those scams are a bit annoying!  I did not use my credit card at any stores during that time, so I do not think its linked. Just us few unlucky people whos phone numbers have been used to get to us  Good luck to everyone and do not call back the numbers!  That is why the numbers calling us have changed,  They will continue to try to make money off us doing these scams and will not stop until we stop calling them.
  • +1
    ANonieMouse
    | 1 reply
    Re: Target/Michaels/Nieman Marcus/Whatever

    I don't think these calls have anything to do with these breaches -- after all, anyone can set up a computer with PBX software and program it to dial one random (or sequential) number after another.

    But if you really want to see what's behind these point of sale breaches, all you need to do is click on the link below and read the accumulation of articles in each report.

    http://www.sans.org/newsletters/newsbites/
  • 0
    Tamianth replies to ANonieMouse
    I agree, I don't think these breech's have a darn thing to do with these with these calls.
  • 0
    Kelly replies to JK
    | 1 reply
    I use to work for Verizon as a supervisor.

    You cannot block international numbers. Also, if you call them back you will be charged the prevailing international rate. Verizon may credit you as a courtesy but it is not a guarantee.

    If they are bugging you a lot you might consider changing your number. Another thing, some phones allow you to block the number straight from your phone, that might work. I just received a phone call and the area code said it was from Grenada.
  • +1
    not Michael replies to Kelly
    Changing your phone number can backfire.  Your new number is someone else's old number.  It comes complete with the pests the previous owner was trying to get rid of.

    When Michael's creditor was harassing me the local Verizon office told me to put the pest's phone number in my contacts list and assign it the ring tone "no ring".  That sends the call to voicemail without disturbing you.
  • 0
    Annoyed
    I don't really feel an obligation to call someone back who rings my phone once or twice.  I figure such a call is some sort of telemarketer or scammer.  If it were a friend, they would leave a message if I didn't pick up the phone.
  • 0
    Island Pinay replies to ANonieMouse
    Omg! I am lucky then. Because I have a prepaid phone! I thought I ran out of minutes. Turns out I didnt have any extra money to olace the international call. (I have unlimited domestic calling)
  • 0
    Jae replies to Jae
    I spoke too soon. Yesterday, I got a call on my cell and home from the same number. CID says Grenada. Today, the CID says Antigua/Barbuda for a call that rang once on my cell.

Reply to topic