I do hope that was a compliment on Willow's picture...
+2
got scammed
| 1 reply
Love how it says they show up at your house. Well this little momma went and took cch class and that wouldn't be too wise now. I have took enough of the calls and harrassment to the point I can't stand to hear Indian voices after being threatened to pay 1250 at Christmas as a single parent. Because they told me I was going to be arrested. So my home is protected and so am I and my family.
You go girl! LOL! Next time tell them good luck getting past your alarm system and if they question it, tell em Barks & Bites backed up by Smith and Wesson.. LOL! Seriously, you might want to consider a call blocking device..
hmmmm? apparently you don't read very well. not all debt collectors are bad just the tenth percent of them that acts like a bully stilling a kids school lunch money. useless name calling, threats, hounding, beyond normal expectations of any creditable business. so the question comes in play you so put it people that owes the debt deserves what's coming to them. what would make them deal with you and your rude and immoral way? that's why they made laws to protect people not the other way around. learn some respect. here are some fun facts for you to chuckle in that head of yours:The basic provisions of the law include:
• The right of consumers to sue debt collectors individually or in class actions for violations of the law. • Protection against harassment, including excessive phone calls, abusive language and threats of violence, harm or arrest. • Prohibiting disclosure of the existence of debts to others who are not authorized to know about the debts. • Banning contact with consumers at inconvenient times, such as before 8 a.m. and after 9 p.m. • Allowing consumers to seek proof that they, in fact, actually owe the money the debt collector wants.
+2
shanabe
| 3 replies
This last year I got to deal with one of these predatory operations. They called my mother and told her they were looking for me regarding a legal matter and that I needed to contact them as they were filing a lawsuit in regards to a financial matter. They also called my grandmother and told her the same thing. Then they called my phone. I was livid. This woman never identified herself, her company, or anything else required by law. I had to fight with her to even tell me who I was supposed to owe money to. She told me I would be served the next day......I waited all day just to see if it would really happen. Guess who never showed? I called the next day demanding to get her name and her company's name as neither were ever disclosed. After being hung up on three times I was told to stop calling and that my calls were being recorded.....I laughed because then I knew I won that round.
Last week the calls to my mother and my work started again. Allegedly different company now playing nice wanting money for the sane alleged bill. I told them to send me ANYTHING showing that I owe this money as there is NOTHING on my credit reports about this debt. It has been 6 days and still I have nothing.
I was informed that I am difficult to locate hence calling my work and mother......funny because I have lived in the same house for 7 years and have had the same number for 13 years.
The fact they are calling your mother and grandmother is in fact illegal if my memory serves. They must also send you a Certified letter stating you owe the debt, not call and tell you.
I believe they can call to try and obtain cintact info but are not to say anything about why. This gal that just recently called never even asked for my address just my email. It is all irritatingly humorous to me.
I totally agree that most people are honest and pay their bills. All it takes is a job loss or a major health crisis to throw your carefully followed budget in the trash. My daughter is a case in point. My daughter used her savings to get me to a specialist, who properly diagnosed me and (probably) saved my life. Before she could replenish her emergency/rainy day fund a series of bad luck events hit her: Her car died early one morning and she was unable to get to job, which was located far from any public bus lines. She called her job where she had a perfect attendance record to insure that she wouldn't be declared "no call/no show" which could get anyone fired. The HR guy just laughed and said that applicants were a dime a dozen, so if she didn't come to work for 3 days he would terminate her. It was winter and a huge snowfall made walking to work many miles outside of town impossible. The car dealership where her car was located wouldn't work on her car without cash upfront, which she didn't have until her payday almost two weeks later. Too late to save her job.
She got up in the early morning (still dark) and attempted to walk many miles to work. There were roads with no sidewalks and cars that deliberately swerved toward her as she walked. She couldn't make any progress because of the piles of snow in parking lots, etc. She called me in tears because she had been walking for two hours and still hadn't made it even half way to her job. I lived an hour away and had no car. Long story short... she lost her job.
The third day after her car died the dealership announced that their policy required charging a $25 per day storage fee on top of any repair costs. Since she took good care of her car and maintained it according to it's manual's recommendations, we suspected that it just needed a battery. She was forced to sign over her well-maintained car to the dealership because they would not negotiate on the fee. They were in shock because threatening storage fees ALWAYS worked before.
Just before she lost her car, she experienced a massive health problem that nearly killed her. More expenses because surgery was required. She lost her security deposit and practically all of her possessions. We found someone to bring her and what could fit in a car to stay with me. She came home from the hospital (in my town) with an 11 inch surgical scar, staples and a drain. Couldn't work until it healed.
She only owed one bill (a small loan) prior to the loss of the car, on which she had been making regular on time payments. She kept that creditor informed of her whereabouts and her circumstances. They started hounding and threatening her as soon as her next payment was due. She patiently explained that she would resume paying as soon as she was well enough to get a job. That wasn't good enough. She would be shaking after each call. She cried about being viewed as a deadbeat. Her credit history was perfect. I listened to all the calls and even answered a few. One guy threatened to ruin her credit. He was furious because she hadn't responded to his email. I told him she didn't have a computer. He called me a liar.
They tried different tricks that we didn't know were illegal. She kept saying she would pay as soon as she found work, but her doctor wouldn't release her because she was healing so slowly. Because of the debt collector tactics she couldn't eat or sleep. The debt collectors sued her for the full amount. We were forced to find a ride to her former city. The judge was puzzled about why my daughter was being sued. My daughter always agreed she owed the small debt and she showed her barely nearly healed huge scar to the judge. The debt collectors had declared that my daughter had lied about her health issue. The judge added court costs to the debt.
I am so sorry for the many typos and missing words. Just remembering how my daughter was treated made me cry. Being upset is my explanation. I was afraid there was a time limit and my post would be unacceptable. My daughter lost everything because she used her savings to get me medical care for a condition that my PCP thought didn't exist. Two specialists (in two different fields) confirmed two medical conditions that my PCP thought was "all in my head". Each specialist told me that I would have been diagnosed years before, if only my PCP had sent me to even one specialist.
Having my daughter treated so badly by the debt collectors just added to our stress.
Reply to topic