PayDay Loan Calls coming in randomnly..???? What gives????
- Its-All-A-ScamFor anyone going through this:
I went through this myself. A fortitude of calls from various computer generated numbers (that after about half hr were not in service) threatening messages, calls from a man saying he was a police officer, etc.
Let me make it clear:
I HAVE NEVER HAD OR APPLIED FOR ANY ONLINE LOAN!!!
After a few days of threatening calls and annoyance, I decided to fight back. I knew if I started answering the calls, they'd call in full force (they go fishing to see who will bite). They claimed I received a payday loan check, cashed it, spent it and never paid it back. I told them that they were mistaken, that I had never applied for or received any loan. They then went on to threaten me with being arrested, going to court, freezing my bank account,(which they had my account number, the last 4 digits of my social security number, DOB, etc.). They kept asking for my full social security number, which I didn't give them.
First thing I did was go to the bank. I told them what was going on, and they told me to open a new account and close the existing account. I immediately contacted the company that was in charge of my direct deposits and changed the necessary information with them. (The bank told me that if they have your bank account information, they would start trying to take money out.) Many times when this happens the banks don't catch it until afterwards. This is because these companies won't just go in and take out thousands of dollars all at once, they'll take smaller amounts that could easily go unnoticed for awhile. These people called my phone, several times while I was at the bank.
Once my money was secure, I went to the police station, told one of the policemen what was going on, handed him a few sheets of paper with phone numbers, times of calls received, who the person claimed to be, etc. As we were discussing the laws broken by this company (impersonating a police officer, harassment, falsifying records. Etc), my phone rang. The policeman answered my phone and talked to the man who claimed to be a police officer. When he was asked for his badge number, and credentials, etc, the man on the phone stopped talking. The policeman told him to stop calling me and notified him of the many laws he was breaking by continuing to call me. The man hung up. I sat in the police department for about an hour, where 14 more calls from different numbers came in on my cell phone, each one from a different person with poor English. The policeman answered every call, telling the caller who he was each time. By the end of the hour, and the last call that came in, the person on the phone was obviously scared that he was talking to an actual policeman, as his voice was very shakey. He said they would remove my information from their system and would not call me again, telling the policeman that there was a misunderstanding. I was given a report and an investigation was done. The people calling were using computer generated phone numbers, so they weren't able to be tracked and the company they claimed they were from was located in the Caymen Islands.
After leaving the police station, I never received another call. I reported them to the Attorney General, the BBB, and made an online report.
For those that pay bills online, be sure the site is secure. Never give out your social security number or bank account and routing number. Anyone with this information can steal your identity and your hard earned money all within 24 hours. If these people are harassing you, secure your bank accounts or change them all together and go to the police. I also recommend changing your phone numbers, if the calls don't stop. And do not apply for any loans, credit consolidation, or other services online. And be careful what bills you pay online. (An elderly woman I know was ripped off for over $4000 before realizing that this "debt consolidation company" wasn't paying her bills. They were just taking her money.)
THESE PEOPLE ARE SCAM ARTISTS OUT TO MAKE MONEY FROM ANYONE THEY CAN SCARE INTO GIVING IT TO THEM!!
Anyone blaming people for applying for an online loan, paying bills online, etc. It's not your fault if you didn't know this could happen. Peoples information is sold And stolen everyday online, even from reputable companies. Be careful of what you do online. - Tamianth replies to DannyHere is what you need to know, your FDCPA rights. Also read up on the payday loans for your state and also check SOL laws.
Payday loans
http://www.paydayloaninfo.org/state-information
https://800notes.com/arts/Jb8EW-eDhQA/harassi ... ou-need-to-know
See Residents post here also:
https://800notes.com/forum/ta-34af6a034ba34b6/unending-collection-calls
Templates of Letters:
https://800notes.com/Phone.aspx/1-319-242-7350
http://www.ftc.gov/os/statutes/fdcpajump.shtm
http://www.consumerfinance.gov/askcfpb/search ...
http://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/pdf-0096-fair-credit-reporting-act.pdf
http://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0149-debt-collection
And see:
http://www.dfi.wa.gov/consumers/alerts/nationwide-debt-association.htm
*********************
http://www.fbi.gov/scams-safety
********************************
http://www.ic3.gov/media/2014/140627.aspx
******
https://800notes.com/forum/ta-944ec1426a8bcbb ... service-attacks
************
http://www.clarkhoward.com/news/clark-howard/ ... r-phones/ndF4c/
*****************
http://www.net-security.org/article.php?id=1828
***************
https://800notes.com/forum/ta-86217073a9c8dad ... 077595690349410
************
http://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0258-fake-debt-collectors
https://800notes.com/forum/ta-b95e185ca7ca356 ... debt-collectors
************
http://www.deadiversion.usdoj.gov/pubs/pressreleases/extortion_scam.htm
******************
http://www.fdcpa.me/fake-process-server-injunction/
******************
https://800notes.com/forum/ta-9413b3202bc8b6c ... net%27s-tactics
*******************
http://dfi.wa.gov/consumers/alerts/cashnet-payday.htm
*****
http://www.cashnetusa.com/consumer-notices
**************
Extortion Scam Related to Delinquent Payday Loans
Washington, D.C.
December 07, 2010 FBI National Press Office
(202) 324-3691
— filed under: Press Release
The Internet Crime Complaint Center has received many complaints from victims of payday loan telephone collection scams. Callers claim the victim is delinquent in a payday loan and must repay the loan to avoid legal consequences. The callers purport to be representatives of the FBI, Federal Legislative Department, various law firms, or other legitimate-sounding agencies. They claim to be collecting debts for companies such as United Cash Advance, U.S. Cash Advance, U.S. Cash Net, and other Internet check-cashing services.
According to complaints received from the public, the callers have accurate data about victims, including Social Security numbers, dates of birth, addresses, employer information, bank account numbers, and the names and telephone numbers of relatives and friends. How the fraudsters obtained the personal information varies, but in some cases victims have reported they completed online applications for other loans or credit cards before the calls started.
The fraudsters relentlessly call the victim’s home, cell phone, and place of employment. They refuse to provide any details about the alleged payday loans and become abusive when questioned. The callers have threatened victims with legal actions, arrests, and, in some cases, physical violence if they do not pay. In many cases, the callers harass victims’ relatives, friends, and employers.
*****************************
To File complaints FDCPA/TCPA violations:
Your State Attorney General
Their State Attorney general
www.naag.org (you can find your state AG at this link).
https://www.ftccomplaintassistant.gov/#&panel1-1
http://www.consumerfinance.gov/complaint/
http://www.rcfp.org/reporters-recording-guide/state-state-guide
http://www.dmlp.org/legal-guide/recording-phone-calls-and-conversations
Also with the BBB and follow completely through with it.
http://www.consumer.ftc.gov/blog/haunted-phantom-debt
Seek a FDCPA/TCPA Attorney if need be.
***A company must be licensed in their state as well as the one they are trying to collect in if two different states are involved.
Some Tips:
*Keep all messages
*Take a picture of your Caller ID
*Keep any and all conversations recorded to your states recording laws, some require they be told, others do not. This can be transferred to a recording device.
*Keep a notebook handy for writing time,date, who you spoke with and what the conversation detailed.
*Check your SOL for your state as well.
*Attorneys need to be licensed as a DC to collect, all DC's must be licensed in their state as well as yours if different.
http://www.insideedition.com/investigative/93 ... debt-collectors
For Extortion Scam Operations, File reports with the FBI, your state attorney general and Department Of Justice,CFB,FTC & FCC.. Emails can be attached to complaints filed with IC3, the cyber crimes division of the FBI.
http://www.nw3c.org/
http://www.ic3.gov/default.aspx
http://www.fbi.gov/
https://www.ftccomplaintassistant.gov/#&panel1-1
https://esupport.fcc.gov/ccmsforms/form1088.action
http://www.consumerfinance.gov/complaint/
http://www.fraud.org/
http://www.stopfraud.gov/report.html
Tip off FBI about this extortion attempt by filing form at: stips.fbi.gov/
http://www.consumer.ftc.gov/blog/haunted-phantom-debt
Also see here:
https://800notes.com/arts/I2neMkbUAAo/where-to-report-phone-crime
https://www.westernunion.com/us/en/fraudaware ... and-answer.html - Danny| 1 replyThis is a lot of good information. Thanks.
There were two numbers that called me from the same company, 401-433-7875 and 708-843-8024. Very odd that the same guy called me from two different area codes.
So, The guys said that I owed $800 but he can settle it for $610., but I was only able to pay $410 and ended up making a payment arrangement, like an idiot I am. They are automatically debiting the remaining balance of $200 on May 1st. Now I am thinking since, I hope, this is a scam, I will need to change my credit card so the payment doesn't go through.
Any thoughts?
Thanks
Dann7 - Jai Mac replies to DannyYou may have to close the account completely if you gave that them information.
- JoeMamaMan, I always hate reading these posts where people were frightened into giving these lowlifes money. Definitely close your account and report the fraud. If you paid with a credit card, and it's not too late, you may be able to get your $410 back.
- Danny| 2 repliesUpdate, Ok, I changed my debit card number so on May 1st they will be unable to deduct the remaining balance I owe. I wonder whats going to happen. They will probably call me up and see whats up. Should I answer and give them a piece of my mind and indicate how they have violated so many laws? Or should I just ignore the call.
Thoughts?
Thanks - JoeyDee replies to DannyYou'll get some people telling you to answer and give the caller hell, but IMO it's not worth it. They're untraceable, they change numbers on the fly, using dead numbers a lot of the time, so you can't call back (which isn't a good idea anyway) and if you give them grief they're likely to have all their scammer friends call you, just to get back at you.
They don't care about violating laws: they KNOW they are violating laws. They don't care because it's near impossible to find them, and even if you did, how would you prosecute someone in India?
My experience has been to ignore all unknown calls (and in this case I would ignore the known call) and to use a call blocker. That way, the scammer gets to call one time, then I block the number.
I'm glad you won't lose the balance to them, but you should also try to get the original payment reversed, if it's not too late. - Chewbacca-the-Wookie replies to Angela| 12 repliesJust because he's Montel Williams doesn't mean he's wealthy. A lot of celebrities have gone bankrupt due either to poor money management or trusting the wrong people. I don't think Montel would be doing TV spots for loan sharks and phony psychics if he didn't need the cash. Who knows? Maybe HE borrowed money from some of these sharks, and this is his how he's "paying off the debt". That's exactly what happened to the late Gary Coleman. He got himself in deep with a payday loan company, and they agreed to forgive his debt if he would do TV spots for them. Talk about a deal with the devil!
- Resident47 replies to Chewbacca-the-Wookie| 11 repliesTwo cents inserted ... Those direct response ads dummied up to resemble talk shows are produced on the cheap and appear at the cheapest airtimes. Their producers aren't paying Montel much to show up and pretend he still has a career.
Also I think there is an insidious presumption made that anyone watching TV overnight is just desperate enough to borrow funds at 300-plus percent interest. - Chewbacca-the-Wookie replies to Resident47| 10 repliesMy personal favorite was "The Danny Bonaduce Show". It was made up to resemble a late-night talk show, complete with a music band and Danny's (lame) opening monologue. Danny's one and only "guest" was Kevin Trudeau, who was hocking his "Mega Memory" program. I worked overnight operations for a local TV station in the 90's, and we aired this thing every morning at 1:00 for months. The same monologue....the same "guest"....the same pitch....night after night. Trudeau is known for disguising infomercials as news/variety programs, albeit very poorly.
The Montel spots are all over daytime syndication....mostly talk and court shows. Perhaps a presumption there is that anyone sitting home watching these shows during the day must be unemployed and therefore desperate for money. - Bob replies to DannyCall your bank, and tell them you were a victim of fraud. They might be able to help and get your money back. Maybe. It's worth a shot.
- JoeMama replies to Chewbacca-the-Wookie| 9 repliesKevin Trudeau has been involved in all sorts of shady schemes and even served jail time for one of them, though I can't remember the details at the moment. Most notably was his book about "secret" health remedies "they" don't want you to know about. It was basically several hundred pages bashing the medical and pharmaceutical industry while not providing any actual "cures." So after people complained about the lack of natural remedies he had to revise it and put in a chapter detailing several quack "cures." My mother-in-law bought it, and curious, I looked up the "cure" for acid reflux which I had been suffering from at the time. His "cure" was to drink vinegar. That's right, adding acid on top of acid is supposed to cure your heartburn. Needless to say, I wasn't impressed.
- FYI replies to JoeMama| 8 repliesI think this is what you are looking for:
http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2014-03-17 ... -network-guzman - JoeMama replies to FYI| 7 repliesWell apparently this is a new case. The one I was referring to was a number of years ago, before he wrote "Natural Cures." But looking at his Wikipedia entry he's been involved in quite a few shady situations throughout his career.
- FYI replies to JoeMama
Reply to topic