Dangerous New Trend in IRS Scams

  • +2
    Andrew replies to GateKeeper
    It is best to just ignore them. If you see a strange number calling, Let it go to voicemail! Many scammers don't bother to leave messages and simply move on. Most legit callers will leave a VM, And even if this is not the case you have a heads up on if you should call the person back. I have gotten quite a few calls myself who don't leave messages., And checking the numbers often reveals complaints of scams every time.
  • +1
    LoreeSelmer replies to toby
    | 1 reply
    When it starts costing businesses money in a way they care about, the government will get involved. Until then it is our problem.
  • +1
    TormentingTelemarketers replies to LoreeSelmer
    Or they call a Congressman.
  • 0
    Ton replies to Who cares
    | 3 replies
    Why isn't the IRS putting a stop to this?
  • +5
    BigA replies to Ton
    | 2 replies
    They were waiting for you to give them jurisdiction in India and Pakistan and Russia and China and every other foreign country that these people are located in.
  • 0
    Senor Tomahawk replies to BigA
    I've yet to get an "IRS call" from India, Pakistan, Russia, or China, but have gotten the payday loan "pay up now or we arrest you" and "we got an error message from your computer" from India.  Anyways, asked the Indian accent for his address. He was reluctant. Told him my name is XXXX Tomahawk and wanted to visit him. He provided an address near Mumbai. Too bad the US Navy can't actually send a Tomahawk to eviscerate that call center off the face of the earth.  In the meantime, hope folks are tying up their lines with feigned interest or getting the caller to divulge their actual identity.
  • 0
    AliceofCheshire replies to Sir Bedevere
    | 6 replies
    I was not trying to contradict you but to add to the information you already posted. I also found other incidents of IRS scammers using swatting in Culpeper, VA, Southwick, MA, Newport News, VA, and Watertown, CT,  to name a few.  I realize that this may not be a trend yet, but perhaps they are just escalating since they have found a new way to terrorize people into giving them money.
  • +1
    CelticDragon replies to AliceofCheshire
    | 3 replies
    SWATTING is actually done on other things-so it is a trend. The fact is that 'trend' is extending to this kind of thing now. On some sites (and I'm not going to say where), it's a VERY big problem.
  • +1
    TormentingTelemarketers replies to BigA
    From Monty Python - "I think we should tax all foreigners living abroad". Until that happens, I don't think the IRS can do that much.
  • +2
    AliceofCheshire replies to CelticDragon
    | 2 replies
    I was replying to Sir Bevedere regarding his statement that this was not a trend regarding IRS scammers. He feels that it was an isolated incident and I was providing more information on incidents all over the country pertaining to IRS scammers and that this is probably trending as they realize that they can terrorize money out of people with this threat. I  was not talking about the other swatting incidents by other people, which is a big problem, but to his direct statement that it was an isolated incident. I think you and I agree on this issue. Be safe!
  • -3
    CelticDragon replies to AliceofCheshire
    | 1 reply
    What I meant is that SWATTING is not NEW. Did you even read what I posted?
  • +1
    AliceofCheshire replies to CelticDragon
    Of course I did. I try to read all your posts. On April 29th, I posted that swatting has been happening since at least 2004, which would make it not new. As I stated, I believe we AGREE on this subject totally. I apologize for any misunderstanding and no offense taken here. Be Safe!
  • +1
    TormentingTelemarketers replies to AliceofCheshire
    Here's a report about a similar incident in Southwick, MA from last year - http://southwickpolice.com/irs-scam-swatting-incident/ Fortunately, the Southwick PD seemed to handle this very well, mainly because the resident that received the call also called the police at the same time.

    Definitely bears watching.
  • 0
    TAXIC ENVIRONMENT
    | 1 reply
    The strange thing about 323-729-3069 is that they left a voicemail message. When I called that number, a woman answered professionally and said all she needed was my tax attorney's number. She asked for nothing else. I'm not sure what she could have gained by having a publically listed business number. Weird.
  • +2
    Hopeful
    | 2 replies
    I have been frustrated by scam calls for years, and been told that it is very difficult for law enforcement, much less the IRS, to trace voip calls originating from out of the states, to the originating call center. I have been using the block and ignore method for a while, and it along with newer fraud detection algorithms have lessened the frequency. I recently saw a new commercial technology, Pindrop, that uses a huge database of audio artifacts that are produced by phone equipment, to determine where the call is coming from. I'm hoping that eventually this commercial tech will be adopted by phone companies to block incoming calls from offending call centers eventually stopping the majority of calls.

Reply to topic