CPC Central Portfolio Control

  • 0
    Kong replies to Kong
    I mean, I need to know how to spell "shill", so I can reply to that "colorado" dude
  • +3
    Nimrod® replies to Slim
    Seeing IANAL makes me think of someone admitting that they are overly fastidious.
  • +2
    Zombie Debt
    | 3 replies
    I'm going with a zombie debt because, per everything I know about my credit report/bills I am up to date on ALL payments.  (Paid off credit cards before closing them, with a letter from the company stating zero balance.)  I have one medical bill I'm making monthly payments on (above what is required per our agreement) and my student loans that are autodrafted.  Plus, they used my maiden name...which is way past the statue of limitations.  So, if they have a "debt" to collect it is way past the statute of limitations as...it isn't showing up on my credit report.  I spoke with a woman who wouldn't identify herself and identified the company as (something I couldn't understand) central portfolio control.  I asked her what the name of the company was again...she refused to tell me as she "already told me twice."  (No she hadn't.)  I explained I missed the first part of the name.  She refused to give it to me.  She asked me if I would verify the information.  I asked her told wait just one second (I think she could hear me typing on my computer...I wanted to see if it was a really company or not) she hung up the phone on me.  I do have one zombie "debt" that isn't mine.  I lived in a duplex and the druggies next door got a phone line in my name and rang up hundreds of bucks on the phone line.  There was a police report and all when I found out about it.  I have fought that one for years denying it every time.  Now that I point out it is a zombie debt and there is no legal recourse since it's not my debt...they just yell and scream at me on the phone about how horrible of a person I am.
  • +3
    BigA replies to Zombie Debt
    | 2 replies
    Unless you live in Wisconsin or Mississippi, then contacting you to collect a debt past SOL is not illegal, only threatening to sue you is.  Now, since they talked to you they are now required to do the following:

    Federal law (FDCPA) requires them to send you a letter (US MAIL ONLY) postmarked within 5 days of their first contact that contains their name, physical address, the creditor’s name, and the amount of the alleged debt.  It also must contains “mini-Miranda” telling you that it is an attempt to collect a debt and that all information will be used for those purposes.  The one other important thing that this letter must also have in it is that you have a right to dispute the debt within 30 days of receipt of the letter and if you do so, all collection activity must be stopped until the debt is verified.

    At which time:

    You need to send them a certified, return receipt debt validation, cease and desist calling, or "not me" letter (think of it as the best $6.47 you ever invested).  Also send it first class mail in case no one will sign for it.  Make a notion of that fact at the bottom of the letter.  You also need to report them to the proper agencies to which I have provided links to.  Then you need to go out and get a consumer lawyer to sue them on a contingency basis (no money out of your pocket) and let them pay you for the harassment.  If everyone did these three things, these crooks would be bankrupt and we would all be the richer for it.  Use these web sites to find an attorney in your state that will probably take the case on a contingency basis (no money out of your pocket up front):  http://www.consumeradvocates.org/
    http://www.consumeradvocates.org/find-an-atto ... tates_value=All

    Read up on your rights here, get template letters to send and also make a complaint at this government site: http://www.consumerfinance.gov/

    Also file a complaint with your State Attorney General's office.
    List of State AG’s offices:  https://800notes.com/faq/attorney-general

    Also file here:  Minnesota:http://mn.gov/commerce/consumers/file-a-complaint/file-a-complaint/
  • +3
    want2eatsuppernpeace replies to BigA
    | 1 reply
    thank you. for addressing this. i had something simular happen to me several months ago.. 25 year old Paid off debt. they tried to raise it from the dead. its good to know ppl are out there to help, being watch dogs.
  • +2
    BigA replies to want2eatsuppernpeace
    You're welcome!
  • 0
    Michelle
    | 2 replies
    Well, we have received a few calls from them. They finally left a message today. All of our debt is in bankruptcy. They have no reason to call us, as they legally can't call us since we are in bankruptcy.
  • 0
    Resident47 replies to Michelle
    CPC does have a reason or two. CPC wants your money and thinks you'll hand it over no matter how many laws are broken. CPC assumes that the accounts being time-barred or legally dead won't matter to you. CPC counts on you not to sue when your rights are denied, regarding their aforementioned assumptions. That will be the status quo until you give CPC a reason not to call you, or anyone else in a similar place.
  • +2
    byron replies to Tygerkat
    | 1 reply
    My apologies to you, Tygerkat for being so late in replying.  I thought the thread was finished and stopped regularly checking it..   Again, very sorry, I should've known.

    Anyhow, I guess my age is showing when I used those abbreviations.  In case you haven't already googled 'em and know what they are:

    YMMV = Your Mileage May Vary. = Different people have different views and/or get different results.

    IANAL = I Am Not A Lawyer.  =  I am not a lawyer.      :-)
  • +1
    byron replies to byron
    I once again expose my idiocy by not reading further.  Others, I see, have already answered.  Just ignore.
  • +3
    TheHolyHandGrenade replies to Michelle
    DO NOT fall for any debt collectors claim, "This does not fall under the US Bankruptcy laws."
    Write down in detail EVERY conversation you have with scambags.
  • 0
    L PRice
    | 1 reply
    They KEEP calling, asking for my Mother in Law who died in June! I have told them this repeatedly! NO matter HOW MANY TIMES THEY CALL, they will NEVER BE ABLE TO SPEAK TO A DEAD WOMAN!!! as soon as I SAY or at least start to say "I've told you before she died in June".. THEY GET ALL ANGRY and then just hang up!!
  • 0
    not Michael replies to L PRice
    If they call from the same number all the time or from just a few numbers you can get a call blocker and block their number(s).  This won't work if they use a different number for every call.
  • -8
    Marc replies to I know my rights
    | 9 replies
    I lost a civil case because a server said i was served but hadn't been.  So they really dont have to prove anything.  Just lie
  • +2
    Kat replies to Marc
    | 7 replies
    I'm pretty sure they need your signature to prove you've been served. I could be wrong but otherwise how would the courts know the process server actually delivered the paperwork?

Reply to topic